Monday, November 29, 2010

Comeback

Oh dear lord, stop me.  I’m about to go out for a run!  And yes, I’m obviously procrastinating because who stops to update a deserted blog before going out for a run.

Me!

I’m procrastinating because I’m scared.  Isn’t that ridiculous?  Some part of me just doesn’t believe that this person has run 3 marathons and is terrified of a little 3 mile jog.  I can see how beginners can hate starting a running program.

So, the goal is this:  just go out and do it.  Run slowly and simply plan to finish the run.  That is all there is to it.  If I go fast (which I know I will) I’ll die and need to stop and feel defeated.

That’s it!

Hope all of you real runners out there are getting along well…

-Emily

4 comments:

Susan - Nurse on the Run said...

I had the same feelings when I started running post-injury after Boston. I had taken two months off of running, and although I was swimming/biking and had cardiovascular fitness, running was another story! Three miles (which seems like NOTHING to me) was painful...made me realize how hard it is for people to start running, so I sympathize with them more now. Also, good reason to never stop! :)

Amy said...

I understand the terror completely. I was attempting to jog a few steps yesterday, and was scared to even try!

I hope your 3 miles were awesome!

Petraruns said...

It's amazingly hard to come back - even harder because you know where you've been before. Only thing to do is just pick it up and do it. Just keep doing it and it will get easier. Eventually...

Anonymous said...

I think we all go through this post-injury! congrats on hitting the road again!